Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday April 2, 2009

" I will walk by faith even when I cannot see. Because this broken road prepares your will for me." I heard this Jeremy Camp song first thing this morning and I thought it was very appropriate for what today represents in my life. Six years ago today I woke up filled with hope and excitement. I had been having some health issues so the week before I had a little out patient procedure done that was supposed to take care of the problems I was having. I woke up and went to work and looked forward to my doctor's visit that afternoon. I thought my issues were resolved and we could begin the journey of building our family. I met Jeremy at the doctor's office and I remember sitting in the waiting room thinking how exciting it will be when we are in this office expecting a baby. My excitement and joy quickly faded when the nurse came out and called my name. I saw on her face an expression that was almost trying to warn and prepare me for the news that the doctor was about to give me. I do not think anything could of prepared me for the news he had to give. The doctor came in the room and he had a sad and confused look on his face and he said the words that nobody wants to hear, "I am so sorry but you have cancer". It was a cancer that is almost unheard of for a 25 year old healthy woman. He was shocked and could could not believe that it came back to be cancer. The initial diagnosis was that it was cancer and that the cells had changed so many times that it was very likely that the cancer had spread to other parts of my body. He then referred my to an oncologist in Columbia, SC. Thankfully two days later when I met with the oncologist they confirmed that it was cancer but that they did not believe it had spread to other parts of my body. So that started the worst year of my life and you know the rest of the story. I cannot pretend that April 2, 2003 did not happen. It forever altered who I am, but today as I look back I am so thankful for God's healing and for His faithfulness. I am so thankful that His plans are always better than our own plans. Six years ago I never thought I would be saying this, but I am thankful for my cancer. Cancer brought me my amazing children and cancer taught me many valuable lessons in life that I would not of learned on my own. 




No comments: