Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday, June 13, 2009

For our first night home after a long week the kids actually did great. Chloe was a little difficult to get to sleep but Sam and Emma went right to their beds. I heard Emma crying at about 2:30 and she was standing in the living room. I think she was really confused about where she was. I got her a little drink and then out her back in the bed and she fell back asleep. I went in to check on Chloe and she had flopped to the end of the bed so I put her back on her pillow and covered her up. The girls have been waking up at 6:15 every morning while we were gone but they slept until 7:40 this morning. They have eaten breakfast and are now playing with their toys. Jeremy is not feeling well so I am letting him sleep and then I think I am going to exercise. Tomorrow is Sam's 4th Gotcha Day so I think I am going to get a cake for him. We have Homecoming at church tomorrow and then the teens are getting together tomorrow afternoon. 
Well here is a little more about our trip last week. We went down to Columbus, GA to help with a FWB home missions church that was started just over a year ago. We ended up having 60 people on the trip that came from three different youth groups. Everyone was split into families and each family went to job every day. Three families stayed at the church and put on a VBS for the mission church. One family (which was made up of all guys) did some construction around the church. My family and two other families went out into the community to help at different organizations. We went to the Rescue Mission on day and then our family was sent to an organization called Open Door Community. At Open Door we sorted clothes and shoes into separate bins. I posted some pictures from that place below. We had a carnival Thursday morning and then we headed to Atlanta to stay the night at a hotel. We had been sleeping on air mattresses on the floor so we were all ready to sleep in a bed. Also while we were in Atlanta my cousin came over to visit with me. I had not seen him in over 10 years and it was just so nice to catch up with me. As I said before it was a great week. I think though it was also one of the hardest mission trips emotionally for me. There was one little issue that seemed to affect me more than the others on the trip and it intensified a personal burden that I have right now, but that is OK because the week also helped me. We met many new friends and we plan on working with the other youth groups again next summer. Frank and Jennifer brought their two girls so Sam and the girls just played and hung out all week. I was so proud of Sam. The first picture was taken on the way to Atlanta on Thursday and you can tell just how exhausted my little man was. Well I better go I still have a ton of laundry. We are leaving next Monday for Illinois so I am thinking about washing the clothes and putting them back into the suitcase. 





No comments: