Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Last night we took Emma to Logan's to eat for her Gotcha Day. We had so much fun. The kids are so good when we are at a restaurant and we are very thankful. After we ate we went to get Emma's present. She wanted a harmonica just like Sam. We went to Cracker Barrel to get it because we knew they would have one in the store. We pulled in the parking lot and Sam says "Um guys, we already ate". I knew he would say something like that. We got home and then got everyone to bed. Sam finally went back to school today but they started an hour late. I took all the kids with me to work and then they drove Sam and the other kids over to school when it started. I was only at work for about an hour and a half because Emma had a dentist appointment this morning. The appointment was made back in August when I took her for a check-up. This was the earliest they could get her in to get her tooth fixed. When we got Emma she had almost all of her teeth in and I noticed that first night we had her in Korea that something was weird about one of her teeth. It has continued to get worse over the past two years and the dentist was going to try and cap it. She also had a small cavity between her two front teeth. Well, when they got her back in the room this morning that determined that the tooth was just too bad to try to save. I had noticed the past few weeks that it really was looking bad so I was not surprised that they decided to just pull the tooth. I did however start to prepare myself for the drama that would follow this event. They fixed the cavity and then they came out to get me in the waiting room to tell me that Emma was in the bathroom and needed my help. I got to the bathroom and the child was in hysterics. She was hyperventilating and she was so upset she was coughing and gagging. I was actually not surprised by the break down, but it was upsetting to see her in such a mess. The nurses kept offering things to her to calm her down but the deal with Emma is that she cannot be bribed into feeling different then she is feeling at that moment. They told me it would be best if I was not in the room while they finished because she would not get back in the chair. I agreed and reluctantly went back to the waiting room. A nurse held her for a few minutes and then she calmed down. Chloe and I were in the waiting room about 2 hours and Chloe did great. Emma was finally done and the child looked like she had been in a fight and lost. Her mouth was still a little bloody, her bottom lip was swollen and she her face was red and her hair was wet from sweat. And of course she was just beside herself because of the things she just experienced. The nurse gave me some instructions and what she should do the rest of the day and then she said what I was dreading "PLEASE KEEP EMMA FROM SUCKING HER THUMB FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS". The dentist was trying to be helpful when she said that Emma would probably sleep the rest of the day so that should help but it was the opposite of helpful because only sucks her thumb when she is sleepy or sleeping. I am pretty sure she sucks her thumb all night. She has done pretty good. When we got home she was laying down and in went the thumb. I told her to take it out and she did. I walk out of the room and when I walked back in she somehow had her blanket over her thumb (which was in her mouth) and I could not tell she was sucking her thumb. I think she was trying to fool me into thinking she was not sucking it. I guess she will be sleeping with me tonight so I can monitor her thumb sucking. It is really loud when she does it so I will be able to tell. Well that has been our day. Here a picture of Emma and Daddy at the restaurant and one of Emma missing her tooth.




No comments: