Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 Happy Gotcha Day Emma!!





Two years ago today our journey to bring Emma home finally came to an end. We left Seoul, Korea on Saturday, February 16th and got into Nashville on Saturday, February 16th. It was actually a pretty good trip with Emma. She slept most of the trip and was pretty pleasant. We flew from Seoul to Chicago without any problems. From Chicago to Memphis our seats were not next to each other and nobody would switch seats so Jeremy and I could sit by each other. Emma started getting fussy and by the time we landed in Memphis Emma was no longer pleasant and neither were we to be honest. Emma was throwing a fit the whole time we were at the Memphis airport. We finally boarded our last leg of the journey and landed in Nashville. The welcome we received was almost overwhelming. There were so many people who had come along to share our journey with bringing Emma home and we will forever be grateful for all their support. We were relieved that Emma was home but then came the hard part. The day Emma came home was indeed filled with joy and thankfulness but it was also filled with screaming and crying. The first night Sam came home he laid on my chest and slept most of the night. When he would wake up he would be sweet and cuddly, so this is what I was expecting. WOW was I ever wrong. Emma clung to me for dear life she would not let anybody else hold her or look at her. That first night home is probably one of the roughest nights I have ever had. She screamed most of the night and nothing would calm her down. Thankfully my parents had taken Sam with them that night because it was bad. It was actually bad for the next two weeks. Sam was very sick the weeks following Emma's arrival and Emma still would not let me out of her sight. She was opposite to Samuel in every way and it was a hard transition for everyone. To be honest there were many nights that I wondered what I had gotten myself into. She was something else and I was not sure how to parent her because she would be so difficult sometimes. As I think back to those first few weeks with Emma I still see them as rough weeks but I would not change them for the world. The day Emma arrived I have changed and have become a better person because of this little girl. She is so full of life and joy and words cannot express what a blessing she is to our family. She still has her moments, but that makes her who she is and we love her with all our heart. It is wonderful to watch her grow and to see her bold personality come out. I wish I could share all the things that make Emma wonderful and special but there is not enough room on this blog to do that.

No comments: