Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Goodbye To Maggie

Well yesterday was a very sad day for our family. Yesterday afternoon we had to make the decision to put down our beloved dog Maggie. I have been posting the past few months that we have been having several episodes with her and we were not sure what was going on. We were not super concerned because she would feel bad for a day and then be back to normal. I took her to the vet a month ago for that itching problem but there was not any other problems that we knew about. Well a few days ago she started acting sick again but this time she was a lot worse. She was vomiting and had blood in her urine. Her belly was swollen and she could barely walk or breath. Monday night she looked so back that I was sure that she would be dead when I woke up Tuesday morning. So I actually told her goodbye before I went to bed. Tuesday morning I got up and she was sitting up on her blanket wagging her tail when she saw me but I could tell that she was not any better. Jeremy took her to the vet because I knew that it was not going to be good. The vet looked at her and could tell that whatever was wrong with her was not going to be an easy fix. She wanted to run a bunch of tests but we did not want to spend the money when we knew it probably would only end in the same outcome. We did agree to have some blood work done on her. When the blood results came back it showed that her blood count was so low that she would need a blood transfusion if we had decided to treat her. The vet concluded that she either had cushings disease or a mass in her stomach. The vet believed that Maggie was probably bleeding internally. SO with a very heavy heart we decided to end her suffering. The vet assured us that she would have done the same thing. Jeremy was going to come back and get me but I could not go and see Maggie. I do not think I could bear to see her that way. So Jeremy came home yesterday afternoon without our sweet dog. I know she was a dog and I know some people think that I am taking this too serious, but she was more than a dog to me. I have lived with Maggie almost as long as I have lived with Jeremy. We got her a year after we were married. She has made every move with us. She was my baby when my chances to have a baby was taken from me. She was a bright spot in my life during all those months of cancer treatments and waiting on Sam. Every day for 8 years she has been a creature that I have taken care of and loved. Today has been very hard especially while I am in the kitchen. The past few years she has stayed in one of the rooms sleeping most of the day but when I was in the kitchen cooking she was right there at my feet waiting for something to fall. I have not picked up food off the floor in 8 years because I knew Maggie would be right there to clean it up. I know this will get easier but wow I had no idea it would hurt this much.
Well on a happier note, we had our Christmas this morning with the kids. I will try to post some pictures and more details tomorrow.

No comments: